Saturday, May 8, 2010

No Kimchi for me!


Ok... so I ventured out.... I gave a 100% effort...

I tried kimchi.

I had taken a personal day from school and Mom and I spent a wonderful day together. We got our toes done, did lots of shopping (including finding some REALLY cute little girl outfits!), saw Kolby's ADORABLE Mother's Day celebration at preschool, and went out to lunch. We went to this great Asian buffet and stuffed ourselves silly! I was so excited when I saw they had kimchi on the buffet. I've read about it and know it is a regular side dish in Korea and is usually eaten daily. I had even found some recipes and was thinking about trying it... well.... I don't think I'll be trying it again! Its definitely not for me. Mom and I both were brave and gave it a try. It must be an aquired taste. It tasted like cold, very sour, very spicy saurkraut. I don't like saurkraut either, so it didn't surprise me that I didn't like kimchi.

In general, from what I've read, kimchi is a way of cooking that ferments/pickles vegetables. Cabbage seems to be the most popular, but I've seen many different versions of kimchi. The recipes I have found call for cutting the cabbage up, putting it in a bowl and making a very spicy sauce of garlic and LOTS of chili powder and chili paste. Then it all gets mixed together and put in jars and left out to ferment/pickle. The longer it stays out, the spicier it gets.

Kimchi is supposed to be very healthy for you.

I'm glad we got a chance to try it, but I think I will find some other Korean recipes to try next time!! LOL!

0 comments: