Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Reflections on teaching...

Written by Jeff:

A story for my bundle of joy, the new girl in my life:

I teach middle school and every year I am blessed to work with the students I work with. Most people I meet say that working with teenagers is not a blessing but more like a curse, this I can say is absolutely not true. I am going on my 12th year of working with teens and can say that I have always had a professional and personal interest in their lives. I want to see "my kids" succeed and I revel in those "Ah Ha" moments and their moments of great artistic and academic success. I am also blessed to have the opportunity to work with these young individuals for at least 2 years, and in that time I try to demonstrate a love for learning, through my own enthusiasm and wit, but also by just being there for them when they need me. Whether it is a need to listen, or laugh, or at times....cry. Yes I am there since these individuals are like my family. And I dare say that I love my students, each and every one of them for who they are.

There is one time throughout the year that I stop and reflect on what I have done for these young individuals, and that is during the graduation preparation and ceremony. Each year I am one of the speakers at the graduation... seems like there has yet to be a year in which that has not come to pass. I love it though. It gives me a time to reflect and to think about the parting thoughts I want to place in their heads. That thought is one that is usually stuck in my head, and until I give the speech it is with me 24/7. Past years I have talked about changes, patience, songs, your life like a book, and even how we are like chocolate chip cookies with many different ingredients! This year was no different. Speaking from the heart is what I do best, and this year I included a section devoted to "you"... how special you are in our lives, my beautiful daughter. I even got to show off a few of the favorite shoes and dresses we have already bought for you! And based on my past history of speeches, I would venture to say that next year will be all about our new love and addition to our family... all about you.

Honestly I tell you this story to help you understand the love that I already have for you. As a teacher, I grow to love complete strangers children... children that are not my own. Can you imagine how much I will love YOU... A child that WILL be my own??!! You, my love, will be born to someone whom I will never meet or even have the pleasure to thank in person, yet I can tell you this, there are not enough words in the English language to express how much I love you, already. My dear sweet child, I do not know who you are yet, nor have I seen your face but the mere thought of your presence in my life fills me with such hope and joy, it is beyond belief. I will always be there for you. I will be there for you during those "Ah Ha" moments, and to help with school and life. Most importantly, I will always be there to love you when you need me to love you, to hold you when you are sad, to laugh with you when you need to laugh, and to cry with you when you need to cry. This I promise to you, Daddy will love you for you, always and forever.......

Love,
Daddy